Tuesday, September 25, 2007

They get it!

Two meetings I had yesterday were enlightening and encouraging...

I met with a couple - a couple I've known for several years. They used to be in our church, but joined another one a few years ago. They wanted to meet because the husband feels called to the ministry. So the Associate Pastor and I met with them for over an hour, talking about how God has touched them and asked the husband to be involved in some type of ministry full time. He quit his job at God's leading and is now listening and pursuing the next steps. He gets it! He understands that life is not about career and money, but it's about God - God and our relationship with Him that transforms us and makes us useful to Him in His work in the world.

In the midst of our conversation, the wife told us about the business she felt led to begin a year ago. She, too, felt God asking her to quit her old job, and she did. Because of that, she was able to spend 9 months with her mother who was dying. In the middle of that, God put in her path this business proposition. After her mother died, she opened the business.

But here's the part where she REALLY "gets it". She told us that God was providing for her family through the business, but in reality, the business was just a way for her to minister to people! God sends her people every week who are hurting and struggling and searching. She ministers to them, prays for them in her shop, and follows up with them in their lives. She truly understands that a job is not for our gratification, but for God's glory and so God can use us. She gets it!

I pray we would all do so.

I met with another man. He told me that as he entered the worship service Sunday, he earnestly prayed, "God, I need to hear from you. I don't want to leave here the way I walked in." God indeed met Him, touched Him deeply, and the man left transformed! This man gets it! A worship service is not about us putting in our time - or even being blessed. A worship service is to adore God publicly, with others, and being transformed!

I pray we would all do so.

No comments: