Monday, October 1, 2007

Pee Wee football

I help coach a pee-wee football team. It's not like I don't have enough to do, in fact, I'm like most folks - I've got more than enough to do. But I got under conviction that I know very few folks who have yet to follow Christ. Like most pastors, I get stuck in the office. And when I'm out, I'm usually with church members. Since I'm not all that disciplined, I figured I needed a outlet that would discipline my time to spend with pre-Christians. Since I am an old football coach, this seemed to be a natural fit. I believe God is in this thing. I've developed nice relationships with the kids and with 3-4 sets of parents, only one of which attends church. I'm building bridges because these folks need Jesus. I'm not a salesman, I don't use bait and switch techniques, and I'm not interested simply in these folks occupying a pew in my church. I want them to follow Christ, and I pray that I will not get in God's way as He uses me. So...here's my question to you: how is God using you to reach pre-Christians? If you can't answer that, you need to do as I did - find out how He wants to, and then get busy building bridges.

Anyway, a funny story. The first day we put on pads, one kid (7 years old) is getting hammered in the hitting drills. He's getting run over every time he's in the drill. So after about 15 minutes of this, he looks at me and says (with his mouthpiece in), "Coach, somebody's fixing to get hurt. And it ain't gonna be me." I laughed so hard I nearly fell on the ground. This kid is getting hit between the snot and the spit every play, yet his confidence is at an all-time high. I love that kid. He's amazing. And here's the deal...he's getting better every week. He's making tackles now, he' blocking better, and he loves football. There's probably a spiritual parallel there, but it's Monday and my brain is mush. Maybe I'll explore that later.

1 comment:

LIFe - Matt said...

That's pretty funny. Thanks for sharing.